Discussions

Product Import/Export

It's a need have a good export & import module to product, catalog, atributes, etc. Why? there are some store admins that have their tpv software that export in excel/csv their catalog and they want upload/update the catalog EASY

Any ideas?

Posted: Apr 10, 2010

Comments

markalosey on April 13, 2010

I agree. I am not sure of the state...but there was a module that allowed you to syndicate products to additional stores.

I have two installations that share almost 50% of the same products. It would be really nice to maintain the product information in one place.

Another instance where easy, intelligent import export comes into play is:

Our operation operates as a multi-channel merchant. We are setting up something of a 'product information center' internally to manage the content of products. This pim will serve the purpose of feeding several content destinations. Catalog, sales flyers, multiple eCommerce stores. When we have a robust 'service' type interface we can automate the syndication of that product information to the appropriate sites in the workflow of the content generation and approval process.

Zachary (not verified) on April 26, 2010

Greetings,

I am in the midst of doing a fairly elaborate conversion of OSCommerce to Ubercart. This has revealed to me the headache that is importing into Ubercart.

I have evaluated 4 options:

1. Node_Import: http://drupal.org/project/node_import
2. Migrate with Migrate_Extras: http://drupal.org/project/migrate http://drupal.org/project/migrate_extras
3. Using straight up SQL
4. Using a custom PHP Script like this: http://lichtman.ca/learning/moving-data-to-drupal-ubercart

All of these are relatively difficult for a store owner to do, and even myself to do, because it requires an intimate understanding of both the old system and the new one. I know every data migration process is difficult, but what I have noticed is:

In a full fledged Ubercart store, you will have products with many images, taxonomies, CCK fields (possibly content_taxonomy fields), attributes/options, and stock levels. What is lacking is a unified tool, that imports this one time. It is also lacking, as OP said, an export/import/update feature, so someone can manage stock levels or adjustments for thousands of products.

My experience is in the CRM field. For large, multi-dimensional CRM databases, there are always desktop-based integration tools that know the API of the database perfectly, and expose a GUI for you to do complex import/update operations. I believe that would set this new project apart from anything else, leveraging the power of Drupal.

I have used open source tools like Apatar and Talend - perhaps an import/update module could be made for them? Or perhaps we could work on the Migrate_Extras feature, supporting every aspect of data import/export/update on Drupal Commerce.

I know that for someone who knows PHP/SQL and the schema of UC or Drupal Commerce, it is easy to write scripts to do these kind of things. I am talking about exposing easy to use tools to end-users, so they will think of this product as amazingly awesome and easy to use! Feel free to contact me if you want any more feedback on this.

RayC on February 8, 2011

I'm new to drupal and ubercart both. I have looked over the history of the product and it seems the import issue has always been something that needed attention. At best, there are a few hacks and no native support in the product.

When considering your audiences for the future, you will find that large product distributors/manufacturers/merchants/vendors/vars/etc require a feature to easily integrate products in the range of 10,000 - 50,000 products.

For these types of use cases, not having a recognized and standard method of importing to the store will mean many of these clients will stop considering the product immediately, due to it's high cost point of entry.

This project seems to be in the iterative design phases still. I propose an addition to the API, adding a set of API calls to abstract the steps of adding a new product?

Also a set of api calls to extract data reports to reconcile stocks, financial sales data and shipping logistics with whatever products the customer uses to manage their back office functions.

This would allow developers to write modules for integration of various products that import/extract through a standard interface via the API.

I see writing an EDI module to do XML exchanges to update back-office apps, partners, vendors, vars, etc. Would add a whole new dimension to the product and make it viable for enterprise usage.

Just my thoughts.

-Ray

Ryan Ryan on February 8, 2011

One of the limiting factors with importing to Ubercart was that we treated products as nodes but allowed random amounts of data to be attached to the node in the form of attributes. It was fairly simple to map the product data itself to the product properties of the node, but importing attribute data was always a pain.

Now, since we've standardized on the fieldable entity system with a Product entity and Fields as attributes, I wonder if product import won't just be a simple Migrate job. Have you used this module before / tested it on Drupal 7? I'd love to hear if it's simple to get up and running.

RayC on February 9, 2011

I like it a lot, but it is a bit off still from being ready. Once the schema/api are stable, I'd like to work on a product import/integration module for it.

There is no uninstall, so it is a one way trip to /dev/null but it looks nice and what not, the 2 step process to add a product and make it show up was very painful and awkward.

I'm sure this will probably change to add some streamlined one step process for certain needs.

Scott J on February 11, 2011

Has anyone had a look at Commerce Feeds module yet?

From the module page:
"Import or aggregrate Commerce entities (e.g. products) using Feeds

• Product processor for Feeds that creates product entities in Drupal.
  • Commerce price mapper supporting the creation of price amounts and currency codes from raw input.

"

RayC on February 12, 2011

I'll play around with this when I finish up my current projects. I see lots of potential with the *feeds modules. Thanks for the links.

CaddyJ on February 26, 2011

I've just run a few tests with the Commerce Feeds module and it worked really well. I created a product update import to alter prices via CSV with no problems.

Creating and updating products this way seems pretty straigtforward.

I'm rebuilding a furniture department store website at the moment and needed a way to update sale prices across all ranges with a single import.

The only 'e-commerce' feature of the site at the moment is the furniture clearence section, but I wanted a framework for making the entire site 'e-commerce' if they go that route with the main store lines.

Had my eye on Drupal Commerce for a while now and it's great to see it comming together like this. More than I dared hope for, so hats off!

Gonna have a play with 'Views data export' to see if I can get an export to CSV function in place now. Be great if that works to export the data.

Be interested to hear if anyone else is working some similar ideas.

EDIT: Just tried 'Views data export' and it seems to handle the export pretty well.

chrisjlee on March 8, 2011

Any luck with views data export?

neardark neardark on April 16, 2011

I've had some luck with this. Got stuck for a bit because the Feeds module wasn't creating its own tables upon install properly. This thread had the solution: http://drupal.org/node/1050624

I'm still having some pains getting the data imported (I can't seem to get prices to import) but I'm guessing I'll just have to wrangle around with it for a few more .... days.

- John

I didn't realize you were de-coupling products from nodes completely. Is there more about this that I can read somewhere? For some reason I thought products were going to take advantage of the built in 'fields' functionality and become cck-based, not sure why I thought that.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, helps me out a bunch

pixel8 on February 21, 2012

I have a site at the moment and it's been developed using Drupal 6 and Ubercart. After lots of forum searches, module downloads and module patches I finally have a site which can do the following:

Using the Node Import module import a CSV file which skips existing SKUs and only imports new ones and uc_stock_update which takes another CSV to update the stock levels.

Now the major product import CSV file comes from the dropshipper and I have to edit it to make it importable in several ways. Each of the products does not have an attribute (size colour etc) field but the attribute is appended onto the end of the name of the product - which is a pain to start with. Then to make life harder, each product may have a different attribute - for example a product may be listed as "wicked red" or something.

So what I end up with is a single attribute field which has to handle any number of values.

The modified Node Import module I use is priceless. It allows attributes to be created on the fly DURING IMPORT which solves the problem of each product (especially new products) having "surprise" new attributes. So on import the main thing I use is the "with attributes" and "without attributes" CSV files to import products across the board (no updates are done at this time sadly).

Now I'm looking at creating a few new sites but getting with the times and updating to Drupal 7 for selling consumer electronics (hopefully not the same attribute problem above but you never know) and the Commerce set of modules.

Now my question is - how do I do mass imports / updates using either CSV or (preferentially) XML feeds? I've looked into the feeds module and it all looks promising but what I need is possibly "hand holding" on how I set up "attributes" and then import products en mass from an external source.

For example - what happens if a new product comes out with a completely new attribute set / value?

I've attached what I've been having to deal with an created myself CSV wise for reference and any help / advice would be much appreciated!

Midsbie on April 12, 2012

Usually internationally, men and women could try to find the easiest way to transfer their commodities from one location to a different area. It seems like hardly any of the families we looked at were in opposition to the concept of free shipping. Because of this , the printing industry is so well-liked currently. At long last, we realize that a psprint gift code free shipping is perhaps the most powerful technique to reduce shipping costs. We imagined it was pretty surprising.

Frank W. HH on September 24, 2013

Translate with Koogle

Hi, I have read a lot and tried a lot.

So far I could only successfully import taxonomy terms and products.

The products are then displayed on the page of / admin / commerce / products / variations.

The CSV file consists of several columns (see Appendix).

I first created a Produktnode and product variation and this provided with matching taxonomy terms.

Well at first I wanted to import the existing product by adding two more variations to test the import behavior.

This unfortunately did not work. It generates its own Produktnode was always there for each product variant.

Also, the ability to import directly from the product page (Attach to content type) did not lead to the desired result. The following settings are possible:
Use standalone form
ad push
product presentation
Basic Page
Blog Post
Locksmiths Hamburg
Slideshow

Where is the mistake?
Is it even possible to create product variations using taxonomy terms?
If so, where can I get the configuration error? Screenshots attached.
Which assignments must be set in the map when Nodeprocessor and which options to choose?
How can I tell Drupal:
Hey, the Imported products are a variant of Productnode "X" category.

The goal is a Produktnode with approximately 170000 variations in 8 categories.

In Commerce Product processor I have the following mappings in the map:
SKU
Produkt-Artikelnummer (SKU)
Used as unique.
Field in product-variation-types
--------------------------------------------- 
Preis
Preis: Amount

Produktbild
Produktbild

Textfield in product-variation-types, Long Text
---------------------------------------------- 
Leistungsbeschreibung
Leistungsbeschreibung

Bundesland
Bundesland
Search taxonomy terms by: Term name
Bezirk
Bezirk
Stadtteil
Stadtteil
Postleitzahl
Postleitzahl
-------------------------------------------- 
Straße
Straße
Serviceleistung
Serviceleistung
Einsatzzeit
Einsatzzeit
Einsatzort
Einsatzort
Wappenbild
Wappenbild

Werbetext
Werbetext

Titel
Titel

------------------------------------------- 
Produkttitel
Produkt Titel

-------------------------------------------

How can i uploding pictures to my qustion?

Thanks